Self Storage Tips From Annacis Lock-Up
- Ensure you are getting the right size storage unit for your requirements. When contacting Annacis Storage, be specific about items you will need to store. If you are unsure or would like to calculate your required space yourself, try using our On-Line Storage Calculator
- Once you determine the space you need, decide how long you may require storage, as you may be able to take advantage of prepayment, and long term discounts.
- Pack your goods in boxes, not garbage bags. Place books, magazines, and records in small boxes. Kitchen appliances and other miscellaneous items should go in medium size boxes and save your large boxes for bedding and linens. Do not overload your boxes, and ensure the lid is closed securely to make stacking easy.
- Look for a public storage facility that offers climate-controlled units. The only facilities that say, “Climate control is not important”, are the ones that don’t have climate control.
- Ask if the company offers insurance. If they don’t, you have to ask why! Perhaps they can’t get insurance because of poor history.
- Ensure you select a good lock, as it is your first measure of security, and keep a second key somewhere safe.
- When stacking your goods, it is obvious that you can’t stack boxes 10 feet high, or something on the bottom will be crushed. Stack nightstands on top of dressers, and put the boxes on top.
- Do not leave space to access the goods. Instead, put some items on dollies or castors, and when you arrive, push them out into the hallway. This allows you to have lots of access, but at the same time maximize your storage space.
- You should always compare and visit a few storage facilities, as there vast differences that can only be detected with a facility visit.
- The most important thing is to never rent a storage unit unseen. Always see your actual unit before signing the paperwork. If you must, try to go on their website and get a look at exactly what you will be renting.
- Always ask lots of questions!
Instead of spending large amounts of money on brand name moisture absorbency kits, make your own! Place a spaghetti strainer on top of an ice-cream bucket and put about a butter dish worth of sidewalk salt in the strainer. The moisture will collect in the salt and drip and collect in the bucket.
Annacis Lock-Up storage depot is open 7 days a week and is located for ease of access. Our security measures include fully fenced facilities, sophisticated electronic alarm system, computerized gated access and resident manager.